Welcome to Day 1 of the most EXTREME medical conference – and this year, we’re bringing the conference to you, wherever that may be, with our first fully online offering!
It’s been an interesting year (to say the least!), with lots of us missing out on climbing mountains, rowing oceans or making the trek to Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh for our annual conference. If, like us, you’re in need of some ‘Inspiration Beyond the Ordinary’, then make sure to check out Day 1 of #VirtualWEM20. We’ve gathered some of the world’s most inspiring medics and adventurers, including astronauts, innovators and world-record breakers to ensure you get your fix of truly extreme medicine.
Are you ready to be ‘Inspired Beyond the Ordinary’ from the comfort of your own sofa? Here’s just a small taster of what Day 1 has to offer…
- Expedition Leader Jo Bradshaw will join us to explore why, when providing medical support in remote environments, being technically brilliant just isn’t good enough. Jo has led and supported expeditions for over 12 years and has worked with tonnes of medics. She will explore the lessons she’s learnt during this time, specifically the differences between being a good medic and being a good expedition medic – from perfecting your sleeping-mat side manner to looking after yourself and others while you’re all pushed far outside of your comfort zone. This session is perfect for anyone wanting to explore and reflect on how by working together, we can all be better at our roles while on expedition.
- Have you ever wondered how you can use your skills to support the medical teams working on some of the most challenging film projects around the world? The good news is, WEM’s Media Medical Director Joe Rowles will be joining us to discuss his top tips for combining adventure, medicine and media work. Joe has a seriously impressive CV, including work in Borneo, Cambodia, Iran and Costa Rica, as well as serving as the medical director for both ‘Survivor’ and ‘Eco Challenge’ over the last few years.
- While you wait, why not listen to this WEM podcast from World’s Toughest Race: Eco Challenge, competitor Sonja Wieck who talks us through her participation in the event, as well as her interactions with the WEM medical team committed to keeping her in the race as the Fijian terrain took its toll.
- The hugely popular ‘How to get your first job in Expedition Medicine’ returns for 2020, adapted for the virtual environment but still designed to equip even more people with the skills and knowledge needed to land their first job in expedition and wilderness medicine. We’ll be joined by some of the brilliant WEM faculty, who’ll share their unique stories, plus some top tips for anyone looking to break into the industry. You’ll have the chance to ask your most pressing questions to our panel throughout the session.
- Health Psychologist Esther Murray, the first researcher in the UK to explore the concept of moral injury in medicine, will join us to reflect on how the coronavirus pandemic has pushed into the limelight the inequalities and psychological challenges facing our already overstretched medical workforce. Esther will consider some of the techniques used for alleviating stress and what we might want to hold on to as we move forward, living and working alongside COVID-19. In the meantime, why not check out her WEM Academy Live session alongside Matt Walton and Mike Christian reflecting on ‘The Silent Mental Health Pandemic’.
- Stephen Fabes will offer up some much needed armchair escapism, reminding us of the expeditions and adventures that are waiting for us when it’s safe to do so. Stephen, an A&E doctor based in London, cycled the length of six continents in a whopping six-year adventure comprising 75 countries and 53,000 miles. During this incredible journey, he visited remote medical clinics ranging from mobile medical clinics in northern Kenya to floating medical clinics on the Tonle Sap in Cambodia.
Feeling ‘Inspired Beyond the Ordinary’?
Join us this year for one of the most energetic and unique networks in the universe and be part of the world’s greatest gathering in an online environment of extreme medics and thought-leaders; dedicated to inspiring and sharing medical knowledge with you. Book your place today!